Donn is being bullied by QVC for their Carlswald based marketing. He is being sued for defamation. Now I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure truth is a defence to defamation, as is it being in the public interest. If someone asked me whether to buy services from QVC, I would strongly recommend against it for the below reasons based on my experiences (and reiterated by a wealth of negative complaints on hellopeter, even with them diluted through their user of different company names, and several blogs).
P.S. The exact link between QVC and the marketing front is unclear, but based on their (now removed) documentation sent to Donn, and the information from commentators below, there definitely seems to be one. Given the years of bad press, QVC certainly can't claim they didn't know/endorse this. Either way, make up your own mind, don't take my stuff as gospel.
- They misrepresent themselves. They tell you that you have won a car. When I specifically asked Anna if this had anything to do with time-shares, she said "no". I was lied to.
- It is so unlikely that you will win the car that the claim that, you have already won it, is misleading. Your chances are likely worse than the 1 in 15 Devine informed me of. Their business model could not survive if they had to give away a car to every 15 people. (According to their own calculations, they make an average of R54k per 59 people. Giving away a R68k car per 15 would put them at a loss of R213k before other prizes and operating costs are taking into account.)
- They outright lied as to how they got my details. Devine told me it was a competition I entered 'sometime'. I don't enter these sorts of competitions, and given he didn't have my surname, it is likely I didn't complete an entry. I also never give competitions in general nor QVC in particular permission to phone me.
- They keep changing their front company name (see the list below), nearly every company in the world tries to add value to their brand, identified by their name. Constantly changing your name, on the surface, makes it look as though you are avoiding the negative value attached, and it certainly helps to dilute their hellopeter scores.
- They ask you to bring a partner for what appear to be mischievous reasons. A close personal friend (who shall not be named due to fear of intimidatory litigation) who attended one of QVC's presentations said he and an older man and his wife were belittled in front of their wives for not being able to afford a break for the family. They will likely counter that they ask you to bring your partner to help drive the other car if you win. However, when I asked to bring a male friend of mine, Devine got insistent that it be my wife.
- Devine asked me how my surname was pronounced as he was unsure of how to pronounce it. The implication was that he had my surname. Given my surname is very pronounceable, it was clear he was trying to elicit this information by false pretences.
That's all I have, as I didn't go to their presentation thanks to the information provided to me by people such as Donn and numerous other sources (including the press). Their information allowed me to make an informed decision, and have QVC's untruths shown up as such. Disseminating this is in the public interest. At the very least it will save some people a potential waste of their time (as many of the hellopeter comments are thankful for), and at best it will force QVC to engage in honest and transparent marketing.
As an aside, and to help Donn's case, here are their hello peter stats per 'front' company:
- Quality Vacation Club - Complaints 99 Resolved 23
- Prestige Business Solutions - Complaints 32 Resolved 3
- Unique Connections - Complaints 12 Resolved 0
- World Connect / VIP / VIP World Connect - Complaints 12 Resolved 0
- Prime Vision - Complaints 10 Resolved 0
- Media Magic - Complaints 9 Resolved 0
- Mega Communications - Complaints 9 Resolved 0
- Ezweni Communications - Complaints 3 Resolved 0
- Dynamic Communication - Complaints 4 Resolved 0 (including one mislabelled under RCS)
- Real Communications / Real Communication - Complaints 1 Resolved 0
- Ecoworld - Complaints 1 Resolved 0
- Market Matrix - Complaints 1 Resolved 0
Total 184 Complaints and 26 Resolutions in the last 12 months! That's an average of 15 complaints a month (there's that number 15 again) for the company names I've manager to track down.
P.S. This is like tracking a botnet :)
Tracked: Jan 29, 16:16